Cashew Sesame Tofu with Coconut Rice. A simple recipe for a vegan tofu vegetable pan with sesame and cashew nuts. Marinated and crispy tofu with a sesame crust and fried vegetables in a delicious, sweet and hot chili sauce. The tofu vegetable pan is served over wonderfully fragrant coconut jasmine rice and with caramelized chili cashews and roasted sesame. The recipe is vegan, easy to make and super tasty!
Tofu taste explosion!
The recipe arose spontaneously while cooking a few weeks ago. As is often the case, the improvised recipes are the best! And this recipe is a real (tofu) taste explosion: a marinated and crispy tofu with a sesame crust, fried vegetables in a delicious, sweet and hot chili sauce. The quick-to-make tofu vegetable pan is served over coconut rice – my absolute favorite right now! In addition there are also crispy and caramelized chili cashews from the pan and toasted sesame seeds.
DELICIOUS & probably the best proof of how delicious tofu can taste! With a few tips and tricks, you can prepare the most delicious dishes from a block of neutral-tasting tofu!
So if you’re wondering, “What am I going to do with this tofu?” and you like Asian cuisine, this recipe is for you!
Cashew sesame tofu with coconut rice – the details
The recipe is easy to make.
The tofu is first marinated. This makes it particularly aromatic. Starch ensures that the browned tofu in the pan turns out particularly crispy.
Colorful peppers and broccoli are also fried with the tofu. You can vary the vegetables according to your own taste.
The Asian pan dish is rounded off by a delicious sweet and hot chili sauce that is quick and easy to make. I also added ketchup to the sauce, which goes perfectly with it and gives the dish a delicious aroma.
There are also caramelized chili cashews for flavor and crunch, which are prepared in the pan.
The pan dish goes perfectly with Asian noodles or rice. I recommend that you definitely try out coconut rice. For this purpose, only part of the liquid is replaced with coconut milk. It tastes so delicious! I used jasmine rice, which also smells wonderful!
Tips for making tofu
I like to use tofu as a substitute for a meat component. However, you should keep in mind that tofu is not a 1:1 meat substitute. It’s tofu. Meat tastes like meat and tofu tastes like tofu. Nevertheless, when properly prepared, tofu can be used as a delicious meat alternative. Here are a few tips for you:
- Not all tofu is created equal! There are many different types of tofu. Experiment and find the tofu you like. Personally, I like smoked tofu best.
- “Squeeze out” the tofu before preparation! To do this, wrap the tofu in kitchen paper or a tea towel and squeeze out the water (put your weight on it with your hand or a heavy object). This makes the tofu much crispier.
- Marinating for more taste! Tofu tastes more aromatic if you put it in a marinade for 15 minutes or more.
- It can also be crispy! Dust the tofu with a little cornstarch before frying.
- Be patient! Give the tofu some time in the pan or oven to become crispy.
Have fun trying it out and enjoy your meal!
Hast du Lust auf mehr Gerichte mit Tofu? Dann schau doch mal bei meinen anderen Rezepten vorbei:
- Vegan Tofu Kung Pao
- Thai Panang Curry
- Vegan Bolognese Casserole
- Vegan Oven Baked Crêpes
- Vegan “Königsberger Klopse” Meatballs
If you make this Cashew Sesame Tofu, be sure to leave a comment and / or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and how my recipes tasted to you! If you do make this recipe, share your creation on Instagram as a photo and use the hashtag #byanjushka. Always so happy to look through your photos of recipes!
Cashew Sesame Tofu | Vegetable stir-fry
- 200 g smoked tofu
- 1 tbsp starch
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp sesame oil for frying
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped or pressed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 red pepper cut into small pieces
- 1 yellow pepper cut into small pieces
- ½ small broccoli divided into florets
- toasted sesame seeds for serving
Sweet chili sauce
- 30 ml maple syrup
- 60 ml soy sauce
- ½ tbsp sambal oelek
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp sesame
- 200 g jasmine rice
- 250 ml water
- 150 ml coconut milk
Caramelized chili cashews
- 1 tbsp oil
- 50 g cashews
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1/3 tsp turmeric powder
- Pat the tofu dry with kitchen paper. Squeeze out the liquid. Then cut into cubes and place in a shallow bowl. Add cornstarch and spices. Mix well and let the cubes steep for 10 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients for the chili sauce.
- First prepare the cashews. Heat the oil in a pan. Add cashews, maple syrup and spices, stir and let caramelize over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Take out of the pan, spread on a piece of baking paper and let cool down.
- Prepare rice according to package instructions. Mix well so that the coconut milk does not burn. Add more water as needed.
- Heat the sesame oil in a pan. Add the tofu and fry over medium heat for about 10 minutes until the tofu is golden brown. Stir occasionally. Add the garlic, ginger, paprika and broccoli and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes. Add the chili sauce, stir everything together and simmer gently for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Put the tofu vegetable pan together with the coconut rice in a bowl. Scatter toasted sesame seeds and caramelized cashews on top and enjoy.