Crispy cauliflower wings with a vegan “honey mustard” dip. A simple recipe for vegan wings made from baked cauliflower in a crispy breadcrumb coating. The cauliflower florets are marinated with spices and homemade vegan buttermilk so that they taste spicy and juicy on the inside. A coating of corn flakes and breadcrumbs creates a special crunch! The spicy wings are served with a sweet and hot mustard dip with agave syrup. Perfect as a party snack or as a side dish to homemade potato wedges or salad.
Cauliflower the all-rounder
What made me grimace in my childhood is now an integral part of my kitchen and recipes: Cauliflower. Cauliflower is an all-rounder. The vegetables are not only good as a delicious side dish, they can also be used to prepare attractive tasty dishes.
I am a skeptic of “hidden” vegetables or vegetables as “substitutes” in vegan recipes. Here I often ask myself “Can this really taste good?”. True to the motto “The proof is in the pudding.”, I always dare to try new vegetable experiments. The fact that I’m sharing a new recipe of this type with you again today should make it clear that these experiments taste pretty good ;-).
You can already find a large selection of recipes with cauliflower on my blog, for example my Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo with Brussels Sprouts and Coconut Bacon.
Party snack or side dish
On the occasion of the Super Bowl I have a new finger food recipe with cauliflower for you: Crispy Cauliflower Wings. The spicy wings are juicy on the inside and super crispy on the outside! They can be served perfectly as a party snack with dips or as side-dish to french fries or a salad.
Cauliflower as a “chicken wings” substitute may sound strange at first. But believe me: it tastes really delicious & is healthy at the same time!
Crispy Cauliflower Wings – the details
The recipe is simple.
All the cauliflower florets are first mixed with a homemade and vegan buttermilk as well as spices and yeast flakes. The yeast flakes give the cauliflower wings a particularly aromatic flavor. If you don’t have them at hand, you can leave them out and use more spices instead.
The vegan buttermilk ensures that the cauliflower wings taste juicy and tender on the inside. These can be made quickly and easily from two ingredients: Soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Mix both together and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes until it thickens.
For the breadcrumb coating you need crumbled corn flakes, breadcrumbs and spices. To make the breadcrumb coating particularly crispy, I used crumbled corn flakes in this recipe. As an alternative, I can also recommend Panko breadcrumbs. These are coarser and therefore particularly suitable for crispy breadcrumbs.
Then bake the cauliflower wings in the oven until they are crispy and lightly browned.
Two tips for a particularly crispy result
- Open the oven door briefly in between so that moisture can escape.
- Turn the wings once halfway through the baking time so that they are baked evenly.
Vegan honey mustard dip
The wings are best served with a dip. A sweet and spicy “honey mustard” dip goes perfectly with it. For the vegan variant, agave syrup is used instead of honey. Then spread over the still warm wings or pour into a bowl for dipping.
Have fun trying it out and enjoy your meal!
Looking for more vegan finger food ideas? Try one of these…
If you make these crispy cauliflower wings, be sure to leave a comment and / or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and how my recipes tasted to you! If you do make this recipe, share your creation on Instagram as a photo and use the hashtag #byanjushka. Always so happy to look through your photos of recipes!
Crispy Cauliflower Wings with Honey-Mustard Dip
- 1 whole cauliflower divided into florets, approx. 700g
- 250 ml soy milk
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 50 g flour
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 60 g corn flakes crumbled
- 60 g breadcrumbs fine
- 1 tsp garlic flakes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp mild chili powder or more
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Oil for brushing
- coarse sea salt for serving
- fresh parsley finely chopped
"Honey mustard" dip
- 60 g mustard
- 80 g agave syrup
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp orange pepper or cayenne pepper, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a container and let rest for about 10 to 15 minutes so that the vegetable milk can curdle easily and resemble buttermilk.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, top and bottom heat. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a large bowl. Add “buttermilk”, flour, mustard, yeast flakes, salt and pepper. Mix everything together well.
- Mix the cornflakes, breadcrumbs, garlic flakes, onion powder, chili powder, pepper and salt in a deep dish. Roll the cauliflower florets in it and spread on the baking sheet. Repeat until the cauliflower is used up.
- Brush cauliflower wings with a little oil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Then remove, turn once and bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, until the wings are golden brown and crispy on both sides. Open the oven door during baking to allow the moisture to escape.
- For the honey mustard dip, mix all ingredients with a hand blender or mixer.
- Remove the cauliflower wings from the oven. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and coarse sea salt. Serve with the dip.