Strawberry Vanilla Pudding Cake. A simple recipe for the classic. The cake consists of a fluffy sponge cake batter that does not contain eggs, a creamy layer of vanilla pudding and fresh strawberries. Cake glaze gives that extra shine. The vegan strawberry cake with vanilla pudding from the tray is easy to make, super tasty and perfect for every occasion!
The vegan variant of the classic
Everybody knows this one: Strawberry Vanilla Pudding Cake on a fluffy sponge cake base. Hardly any other cake tastes so much like summer and childhood – whether from the tray, from a round springform pan or as a fruit base. And the best thing about it: the cake is easy to make and works as a vegan version without any major difficulties or substitute products! YAY! You don’t need any fancy ingredients, special baking skills or special kitchen accessories. You just need a little patience ;-).
By the way, tomorrow is Mother’s Day. That would be an ideal gift, wouldn’t it? After all, love goes through the stomach ;-).
Strawberry Vanilla Pudding Cake – how to do it
For the cake you need a tray with a high rim or a square baking pan, about 35 x 24 cm. Alternatively, you can use a round springform pan or another shape of your choice in a similar size.
The strawberry cake consists of three or four components:
Biscuit base: The dough is made from flour, baking powder, a little salt, sugar, vanilla sugar, oil and mineral water. During preparation, it is important not to stir the dough for too long so that it turns out fluffy. The dough is first baked in the oven tray in the oven for about 35 to 45 minutes.
After the baking time, switch off the oven and let the cake stand in the oven for a few minutes with the oven door slightly open. This way, the cake won’t flop. Then let cool down completely.
Vanilla pudding cream: This is a simple custard made from custard powder, soy or oat drink and sugar. However, a little less vegetable milk than usual is used so that the cream does not become too runny and remains stable on the cake.
First let the cream cool down (covered with foil) and then spread it on the cooled cake base. This works best if the cake stays in the tray or if you use a baking frame.
Strawberries: To do this, wash fresh strawberries, cut in half and spread over the pudding layer.
Cake topping (optional): To fix the strawberries and give them a nice shine, you can brush the strawberries with clear cake glaze. To do this, prepare the clear cake glaze with water or red fruit juice and sugar according to the instructions on the packet, let it cool down briefly and carefully apply with a brush or teaspoon. The entire 250 ml is not required.
When preparing the icing, it is important that you follow the instructions on the packaging, otherwise the icing will not set. Basically, it is important to gradually add the cold water to the pot and mix it with the powder. As soon as everything is mixed, bring to the boil while stirring and only bring to the boil briefly. Then spread over the strawberries immediately.
Clear cake glaze is usually vegan, while red cake icing often contains the animal colorant carmine. For red cake glaze, you can also prepare the clear cake glaze with red fruit juice instead of water.
Then put the cake in a cool place for about 30 minutes until the glaze has set. Then cut and serve 🙂
Have fun baking and enjoy! <3.
Searching for more vegan baking recipes? Take a look here:
- Vegan Cherry Crumble Cake
- Vegan Coconut Carrot Cake
- Chocolate-Nut Babka
- Chocolate Nut Swirl Banana Bread
- Vegan Poppy Seed Crumble Cheesecake
And finally, if you try this Strawberry Vanilla Pudding Cake, be sure to leave me a comment and / or rate the recipe! I am always happy to read from you and learn how you like my recipes and I do my best to respond to you! As soon as your masterpiece is ready, do as I do: share your photo on Instagram and don’t forget to link to it and use the hashtag #byanjushka! It’s a lot of fun to see your creations <3.
Strawberry Vanilla Pudding Cake
- Baking form (rectangular - 35x24cm)
- 250 g flour
- 170 g sugar
- 10 g baking powder
- 1 packet vanilla sugar
- 10 g baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp grated orange peel optional
- 75 ml rapeseed oil
- 300 ml sparkling water
Vanilla pudding custard
- 850 ml soy or oat drink
- 2 packets vanilla pudding powder 37 g each
- 80 g sugar
- 900 g strawberries
- 1 packet cake glaze clear
- 250 ml water or red fruit juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C, top and bottom heat. Lightly grease the baking tin and line with parchment paper.
- For the sponge cake mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla sugar, salt and orange peel in a bowl. Add the oil and sparkling water and stir briefly. Spread the batter in the cake pan and bake in the oven for about 35 to 45 minutes. Let stand in the oven for a few minutes with the oven door slightly open before removing. Then take it out and let it cool down.
- Prepare the pudding in the meantime. To do this, stir custard powder, sugar and 50 ml of the vegetable milk in a bowl until smooth. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil in a saucepan. Pour in the mixed pudding powder and bring to the boil over medium heat. Simmer for about a minute, stirring constantly, pour into a bowl, cover so that no skin forms, and let cool down completely.
- Spread the cooled pudding on the cake base and smooth it out*. Wash and halve the strawberries and spread over the pudding.
- Mix the icing with the sugar in a saucepan according to the instructions on the packet. Gradually add 250 ml of cold water or fruit juice while stirring and bring to the boil. Then carefully spread over the strawberries with a brush or teaspoon.
- Chill the cake for about 30 minutes until the icing has set. Then serve.
- This works best if the cake stays in the tray or if you use a baking frame.
- When preparing the icing, it is important that you follow the instructions on the packaging, otherwise the icing will not set. It is very important to gradually add the cold water to the pot and mix it with the powder. As soon as everything is mixed, bring to the boil while stirring and only bring to the boil briefly. Then spread over the strawberries immediately.
- The entire 250 ml cake topping is not required.