Vegan apple pie. A simple and moist cake with a delicious apple and pudding filling. The vegan apple pie is made from a simple shortcrust dough and a juicy filling made with apples and pudding. This cake is served with a sweet caramel sauce made from dates that goes perfectly with it. The apple pie is quick and easy to make, requires only a few ingredients and tastes delicious.
V E G A N U A R Y – Time for the simple & classic
A big prejudice that I always had against the vegan diet was: “I have to go without. Especially everything I like to eat.” Today I do exactly the opposite: I eat everything (and a lot more) that I really liked back then. Classic. Just vegan.
It’s not about wanting to replace something 1: 1. It’s about a new and tasty alternative.
Today, in addition to the many new discoveries that the vegan diet has brought with it, I still prefer to eat classics from my childhood that I prepare vegan. In order to make it easier for you and as much fun as possible to approach or make the switch, I’m sharing a classic recipe today: vegan apple pie.
Vegan apple pie – that’s how it works!
Like most of the other recipes on my blog, this one is made easy. You don’t need fancy ingredients, special baking skills or special kitchen accessories
The cake basically consists of two components:
Shortcrust. For the simple shortcrust pastry, knead all the ingredients quickly and store in the refrigerator while the filling is being prepared. Then lay out about 2/3 of the dough in the mold. The rest of the dough is cut into strips and placed over the cake as a grid.
I proceed in such a way that I press the dough evenly into the mold and form an edge. Alternatively, you can roll out the cooled dough and place it in the mold. Both variants work well. See how it works best for you.
Moist apple pudding filling. This consists only of apples, apple juice, vanilla pudding powder (alternatively starch + vanilla), vanilla sugar and brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. I recommend brown cane sugar for the filling, as the slightly caramel taste goes very well. But you can also use another sweetener.
For the filling, the ingredients are prepared in a saucepan until the mass has thickened and then spread on the cake base in the baking pan.
Finally, the remaining shortcrust pastry is placed in strips as a grid over the cake and baked. Alternatively, you can also make streusel. You can find a delicious streusel recipe here, for example.
Creamy date caramel
I recommend serving the cake with a date caramel. The sweet and caramel sauce goes perfectly with the apple pie. The date caramel is quick and easy to make. To do this, puree all ingredients in a blender until creamy and add more liquid as required until the desired consistency is achieved.
And now: have fun baking and enjoy it <3.
Looking for more easy baking recipes? Try one of these…
- Cinnamon buns with apple and nut filling
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
- Chocolate Pear Cake
- Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- Delicious Marble Cake
- Speculoos Swirl Cake
- Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
- Chocolate Orange Tart
If you make this vegan apple pie, be sure to leave a comment and / or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and how my recipes tasted to you! If you do make this recipe, share your creation on Instagram as a photo and use the hashtag #byanjushka. Always so happy to look through your photos of recipes!
Vegan Apple Pie with Date Caramel
- 20 cm baking form
- 225 g flour
- 125 g sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp orange peel optional
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 g vegan butter cold
Apple Pie Filling
- 750 g apples
- 1/2 lemon squeezed out
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 50 g brown sugar
- 1/2 packet of vanilla sugar
- 250 ml apple juice
- 40 g vanilla pudding powder
- 100 g dates
- 100 ml vegan milk or more
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp almond butter optional
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract optional
- In a bowl, quickly knead all the ingredients for the shortcrust pastry into a dough. Put in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop apples. Mix with lemon juice, cinnamon and brown sugar. Put aside.
- Mix 6 tbsp apple juice with vanilla pudding powder until smooth. Bring the rest of the apple juice to the boil, add the mixed pudding powder and bring to the boil while stirring until it is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the apple pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees top and bottom heat. Lightly grease the baking pan and line the base with baking paper.
- Press about 2/3 of the dough evenly into the baking pan *. Spread the apple filling evenly on the cake base. Roll out the remaining shortcrust pastry, cut into strips and place as a grid over the cake.
- Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes. Then turn off the oven and let stand in the oven for another 5 minutes with the door slightly open. Then take it out and let it cool down.
- Puree all ingredients in a blender until creamy. If it is too thick, add more vegetable milk.
- Pour into a storage jar and serve with the cake.
- If you replace an ingredient, please note that the consistency of the dough and the baking result may change.
- Alternatively, you can roll out the dough, wrap it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, roll it out and then put it in the mold. Both variants work well.
- The baking time can vary depending on the oven.
- It is best to test whether the cake is ready with a wooden skewer or a knife. Both should come out again when piercing the cake without any liquid dough residue.