Vegan cherry crumble cake with a juicy cherry filling and crispy sprinkles. A simple recipe without much effort! The cherry cake is made from a simple shortcrust pastry base, a delicious and juicy cherry filling with vanilla pudding and crispy sprinkles. The cake is quick and easy to make, incredibly tasty and perfect for any occasion!
Some time ago I uploaded the recipe for the delicious poppy seed cake to my blog. This cake was inspired by my mom’s recipe and I only changed a few little things here and there to make it vegan.
And now my mom had whipped out the next cake winner when we visited my parents for a barbecue: Vegan Cherry Crumble Cake with a juicy cherry filling and sprinkles! The best thing about it: the cake is basically just as simple as the delicious poppy seed cake – only the filling is a little different.
Simple recipe without much effort
Like most of the other recipes on my blog, this one is easy to make. You don’t need any fancy ingredients, special baking skills or special kitchen accessories. In addition, the cake is prepared in less than an hour.
Vegan cherry cake with filling and crumble – how to do it!
The cherry cake consists of 3 parts:
Shortcrust. For the simple shortcrust pastry, quickly knead all the ingredients. Then lay out in the tin. The way I do this is to press the dough evenly into the tin and form an edge in the process. Then I put the tin in the fridge and prepare the filling. Alternatively, you can roll out the dough, wrap it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, roll it out and then put it in the tin. Both variants work well.
Cherry filling. This consists only of cherries from the glass (alternatively frozen or fresh cherries), cherry juice, vanilla pudding powder (alternatively starch + vanilla extract) and sugar. These are prepared in a saucepan until the mass has thickened and then spread on the cake base in the baking tin.
Sprinkle. For the crumble, knead all the ingredients and spread over the cake as a crumble.
The cherry cake is a popular classic that you can’t go wrong with. The cake is quick and easy to make. A ready-to-go recipe suitable for every occasion!
You’re searching for more vegan baking recipes? Try one of these..
- Vegan Carrot Cake Bars
- Vegan Marble Cake
- Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread Mug Cake
- Vegan Orange Poppy Seed Pancakes
- Vegan Pumpkin Cake with Cinnamon Frosting
If you make the Vegan Cherry Crumble Cake, be sure to leave a comment and / or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and how my recipes tasted to you! If you do make this recipe, share your creation on Instagram as a photo and use the hashtag #byanjushka. Always so happy to look through your photos of recipes!
Vegan Cherry Crumble Cake
- 20cm baking form
- 225 g flour
- 125 g sugar
- 8 g baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp grated orange peel optional
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 packet of vanilla sugar
- 120 g chilled plant-based margarine
- 350 g sour cherries from the glass * pitted and drained
- 250 ml cherry juice
- 1 packet of vanilla pudding powder 37 g
- 30 g sugar
- 50 g flour
- 25 g brown sugar
- 40 g chilled plant-based margarine
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp grated orange peel optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C, top and bottom heat. Lightly grease the baking tin and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, quickly knead all the ingredients for the shortcrust pastry base to form a dough* and press evenly into the baking tin. Form a high edge. Place the baking tin in the refrigerator while preparing the filling.
- Drain the cherries while collecting the juice. In a small bowl, stir about 6 tablespoons of cherry juice with the custard powder and sugar until smooth. Bring the remaining cherry juice to the boil in a saucepan and remove from the stove. Stir in the mixed pudding powder and bring to the boil again over medium heat. Simmer for about a minute, stirring constantly. Then remove from the heat, fold in the cherries and let soak for another 5 minutes*. As soon as the filling has thickened, spread the mixture on the cake base.
- Quickly knead all the ingredients for the crumble in a bowl and spread over the cake as a crumble.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes until golden*. As soon as the cake is ready, turn off the oven and let the cake stand in the oven for another 5 minutes with the oven door slightly open. Then remove and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
- If you replace an ingredient, please note that the consistency and the result may change.
- Instead of cherries from the jar, you can also use frozen or fresh cherries (pitted).
- Alternatively, wrap the dough in foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes. This makes it easier to work with.
- The baking time can vary depending on the oven.
- The best way to determine whether the cake is ready is to pierce it using a wooden skewer or a knife. After piercing the cake, you should be able to take out either of these instruments without discovering any liquid dough residue.