Vegan cinnamon swirl banana bread with crispy crumble and vanilla glaze. The autumnal and cinnamon version of the delicious classic. A vegan and moist banana bread made from bananas, a sweet cinnamon-sugar swirl and crunchy cinnamon crumble. Perfect for cold autumn and winter days. The banana bread is easy and quick to make, requires only a few ingredients and perfect as a sweet breakfast or dessert.
Once again I had a few ripe bananas left that should definitely be used. The following options were available: (1) Eating 3-4 bananas. (2) Freeze and save for Nice Cream (banana ice cream). (3) Banana shake. (4) Banana bread. I was able to quickly rule out options (1) and (2). Even for a banana lover like me, so many bananas would be one time too many: D. And I wasn’t in the mood for ice cream. Not when I come out of the cold with a red nose. Option (3) was quite tempting. But nothing is as tempting as the prospect of one (4) banana bread.
Especially a banana bread with cinnamon … I still had cinnamon-sugar from my cinnamon sugar pretzels. The perfect base for a banana bread in an autumn edition: vegan cinnamon swirl banana bread.
Vegan cinnamon swirl banana bread with crumbles – the details!
What sounds so “fancy” here is actually made very simple.
You’ll need two mixing bowls, a whisk, and a fork (or something else to mash the bananas). First, mix flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. In the second bowl mix the oil, vegan milk and sugar with the whisk. Optionally, you can add vanilla extract or use a vanilla-soy milk. I really like the vanilla aroma.
Mash the bananas with a fork (also works with a potato masher). Then carefully stir the bananas together with the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture and stir only briefly to form a dough. This is important! Be careful not to stir the dough too much, but only until everything is well mixed together, otherwise it could get “greasy”.
It’s getting cinnamony: cinnamon swirl and cinnamon crumble
The cinnamon swirl is a simple cinnamon-sugar mixture. First, about half of the banana bread dough is distributed in a lightly greased dish. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar generously over it and then pour the remaining dough into the mold. For the swirl, pull a fork through the dough in a spiral. Here too: less is more!
Finally, the banana bread is covered with sweet cinnamon crumbles. My absolute top tip: use brown sugar. This not only gives the crumbles a delicious taste, but also makes them extra crispy.
The finishing touch: vanilla glaze
And whenever you think it can’t get any better, THE idea comes up: D. I guess I thought something like that when I was serving it up. Do you remember the pumpkin cake with cinnamon glaze? The combination was so delicious so I made a vanilla glaze from just three ingredients. And believe me: the vanilla glaze is the cherry on the cake…like we say here in Germany ;-).
How to bake the perfect banana bread
When preparing, less is more. It is important not to over-stir the dough to prevent it from becoming “compact” and “greasy”. In this case it is sufficient to just briefly stir the ingredients together.
I have also found that the banana bread becomes particularly “fluffy” when I mash the bananas with a fork. Not too fine either, so that little bits remain. The more it resembles a liquid “puree”, the more “compact” it can become.
However, these are only experiences that I have gained in recent years. Please leave me your TOP TIPS!
And now: have fun baking and enjoy it <3.
Looking for more easy baking recipes? Try one of these…
- Cinnamon buns with apple and nut filling
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
- Chocolate Pear Cake
- Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- Delicious Marble Cake
If you make these vegan cinnamon sugar pretzels, be sure to leave a comment and / or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and how my recipes tasted to you! If you do make this recipe, share your creation on Instagram as a photo and use the hashtag #byanjushka. Always so happy to look through your photos of recipes!
Vegan Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread with Cinnamon Crumble
- 20cm baking form
- 250 g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60 ml oil
- 75 ml vegan milk*
- 50 g sugar*
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 ripe banana about 350-400 g
- 100 g sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 60 g flour
- 20 g sugar
- 20 g brown sugar
- 45 g vegan butter cold
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 120 g powdered sugar
- 4-5 tbsp vegan milk or more
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- First prepare the cinnamon sugar for the swirl. Mix sugar and cinnamon.
- For the crumble, quickly knead all the ingredients into a dough and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees top and bottom heat. Lightly grease the baking pan.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Pour into a large mixing bowl and mix. Mix the oil, vegetable milk, sugar, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract well with a whisk and carefully stir into the dry ingredients. Finely mash the bananas with a fork and add. Mix briefly to form a dough.
- Pour about half of the batter into the baking pan. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar generously on the dough. Pour the remaining dough into the mold. For the strudel, pull a fork through the dough in a spiral. Finally, spread the crumble over the dough.
- Bake in the oven for about 50-70 minutes*. Then take it out of the oven and let it cool down.
- For the vanilla glaze, mix all ingredients with a hand mixer. Spread over the banana bread and serve.
- Tip: Vegan soy vanilla milk for more vanilla flavor and sweetness.
- If you replace the sugar, please note that the consistency of the dough may change. This also applies to the exchange of other ingredients.
- The baking time can vary depending on the oven.
- The best way to test whether the banana bread is ready is with a wooden skewer or a knife. Both should come out when stick in the banana bread without any liquid dough residue.