Vegan lentil stew with mushrooms and carrots. A simple recipe for a delicious and creamy stew made from lentils, coconut milk and vegetables. This one pot recipe warms from the inside, is super aromatic and fits perfectly into the cold season. You can enjoy it with crusty bread, mashed potatoes or without any other side dishes. The perfect feel-good dish on cold days.
I have to admit, I wasn’t a huge stew fan as a kid. I remember a few stew dishes that I liked to eat in winter, but I didn’t really want to get used to them. As with so many dishes or vegetables that I really like to eat today. Today I can’t think of any better dishes in the cold fall and winter than warming soups, curries or stews. Be prepared for many soul food recipes in the next few weeks!
A classic that shouldn’t be missing here is a lentil stew. As soon as the temperatures drop and the leaves slowly start to detach from the trees, I get really excited for the aromatic, creamy and simple stew made from lentils every time. If you feel the same way, you should definitely try the following recipe.
Vegan lentil stew – the details
This is the perfect cozy, tasty and warming meal on a cold day. A creamy, aromatic stew served with a grilled baguette. DELICIOUS! It is also super simple: you only need a few basic ingredients and only one pot :-).
I used brown pardina lentils for this recipe. You can also use green or brown lentils of your choice here. I also soaked the lentils in warm water for 15 minutes – this step is optional.
The base are onion, garlic, vegetables of your choice (in this recipe carrots and mushrooms), lentils, vegetable broth, coconut milk as well as spices and vinegar. First fry the vegetables in a saucepan with vinegar and a little sugar. Add the lentils and deglaze with the vegetable stock and coconut milk. The coconut milk makes the stew particularly creamy. If you don’t like coconut milk, you can also use vegan cream for cooking. Season to taste with spices and red wine vinegar (alternatively white wine vinegar) and then simmer gently for about 20 minutes until the lentils are cooked through.
I also thickened the lentil stew with a little cornstarch. This step is also optional.
That’s it. So easy and so delicious!
The great thing about this recipe is that you can make it any way you like. I decided to use additional vegetables in this recipe and also cooked carrots and mushrooms. You can also swap the vegetables or leave them out completely.
Tip: The next day I seared vegan bratwurst, cut it into small pieces and added it to the stew. That was delicious!
I personally like to eat the lentil stew with a slice of bread, baguette, with mashed potatoes or without any side dishes.
Either way: if you are looking for a delicious and warming inspiration for lunch or dinner, you won’t go wrong with this lentil stew. Have fun trying it out and enjoy your meal!
Looking for more vegan lunch or dinner recipes? Try one of these…
- Vegan Lasagna
- Oven Baked Crepes with Spinach Feta Filling
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Lentil Pumpkin Curry with Naan bread
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Pumpkin Soup with crispy chickpeas
- Pumpkin Curry
- Cauliflower Soup with vegan Bacon
- Pumpkin Lasagna with Spinach and Cashew Ricotta
If you make this cauliflower soup, be sure to leave a comment and / or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and how my recipes tasted to you! If you do make this recipe, share your creation on Instagram as a photo and use the hashtag #byanjushka. Always so happy to look through your photos of recipes!
Vegan Lentil Stew with Mushrooms and Carrots
- 200 g lentils brown or green
- 2 tbsp oil for frying
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 carrots about 100 g
- 250 g mushrooms
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 500 ml vegetable stock or more
- 400 ml coconut milk*
- 3-4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for serving
- crusty bread optional
- Put the lentils in a bowl and pour hot water over them. Soak for about 15 minutes and then drain.
- Heat oil in a pot. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent. Dice the carrot, cut the mushrooms into slices and add them to the pot. Add vinegar and sugar and stir well. Fry for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the lentils, vegetable stock, coconut milk, red wine vinegar and soy sauce, stir everything together. Mix the corn starch with water in a small bowl and pour into the saucepan (optional). Bring to boil and simmer gently over medium heat for about 20 minutes, until the lentils and vegetables are cooked through *. Then season with salt and pepper as required. If the consistency is too thick, add more stock or water.
- Pour the stew into bowls. Serve with fresh parsley and crispy bread.
- If you don't like coconut milk, you can use vegan cream for cooking instead.
- The cooking time may vary depending on the type of lentils or vegetables.