Vegan meatballs in tomato sauce are easy and delicious to prepare vegan. The meatballs made from vegan minced meat taste flavorful, aromatic and juicy. Breadcrumbs ensure that the balls turn out particularly crispy. The two-ingredient tomato sauce is particularly creamy thanks to coconut milk. Curry powder gives the sauce a special flavor. The vegan meatballs in tomato sauce taste great with rice and pasta. The recipe is vegan, easy to make and absolutely delicious!
Inspiration for the meal prep kitchen
Hardly a week goes by without me pre-cooking food at least once. Even my mom often pre-cooked food for several days so that there was always something warm to eat after school. Since my friend has been back to work in the office, I’ve started again with precooking food, packing it in cans and giving it to him.
Pre-cooking food, or meal prep, has several advantages for me: It saves a lot of time and stress if you are in a phase when there is already a lot going on and you don’t want to worry too much about eating and shopping. No matter how stressful it may be or how little time you have: I don’t want to miss out on something delicious to eat. After all, this is an important basis. In quieter times, I enjoy cozy cooking all the more.
So I’m always looking for new ideas for meal prep recipes. That’s when I got the idea for this recipe: vegan meatballs in tomato sauce! The recipe is easy to prepare using just a few ingredients and offers options for varying it. It tastes great with rice, bulgur, couscous or other types of grain or pasta of all kinds! Perfect!
Vegan meat balls in tomato sauce – how it works!
The recipe is easy to make. For the meatballs I used my recipe for “Polish meatballs” as a basis. You can find this recipe here on the ALDI Nord website.
Meatballs. For the meatballs I used vegan mince as a meat alternative. To do this, mix the vegan mince with a soaked bread roll, onion, cornstarch, breadcrumbs, parsley and shape into small meat balls. In addition, I added some of the tomato puree, which we also need for the sauce.
Alternatively, you can also use tofu as a meat substitute. To do this, squeeze the liquid out of the tofu and crumble it into small pieces. If you go with tofu or a coarse minced meat alternative, then I recommend pureeing the mixture with an immersion blender. This makes it easier for the mass to bind.
Chickpea or soy flour can also be used here instead of corn starch.
Tip: Before frying, the meatballs are rolled in breadcrumbs. I got this tip from my mom and it is a typically Polish way of preparing them. This makes the meatballs particularly crispy.
After frying, take the meatballs out of the pan.
Tomato sauce. The sauce is made from strained tomatoes and coconut milk. This makes it particularly creamy. Curry powder gives the sauce a delicious taste that goes perfectly with the meatballs.
First bring the sauce to the boil and then add the meatballs. Let simmer briefly and the vegan meatballs in creamy tomato sauce are ready.
Delicious and varied
You can serve the vegan meatballs in tomato sauce according to your taste. It goes very well with grains such as rice, bulgur or spelled or with pasta of all kinds.
I like to eat coconut rice made from jasmine rice with it. The subtle but very tasty coconut flavor tastes very good with the tomato sauce refined with coconut and curry.
The recipe is perfect for pre-cooking or in between. Have fun cooking and enjoy your meal 🙂
Here you can find more easy and vegan meal prep recipe ideas:
- Vegan Tahini Pasta
- Vegan Orzo Risotto
- Vegan Thai Panang Curry
- Vegan Coconut Curry with Tofu and Vegetables
- Cashew Sesame Tofu with Coconut Rice
And finally, if you try these vegan meatballs with tomato sauce, be sure to leave me a comment and / or rate the recipe! I am always happy to read from you and learn how you like my recipes and I do my best to respond to you! As soon as your masterpiece is ready, do as I do: share your photo on Instagram and don’t forget to link to it and use the hashtag #byanjushka! It’s a lot of fun to see your creations <3.
Vegan Meatballs with Tomato Sauce
- 1 white bread roll
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 275 g vegan minced meat
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp pureed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- breadcrumbs for rolling
- oil to sauté
- 350 ml pureed tomatoes
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 200 g jasmine rice
- 250 ml water
- 150 ml coconut milk
- Soak the rolls for the meat balls in hot water for about 5 minutes. Then drain it well. Fry the onion in a little oil in a pan.
- Put the rolls, fried onions, vegan mince, cornstarch, breadcrumbs, parsley and tomato sauce in a large bowl and mix well. Season well with salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into about 15 small meatballs / balls with moistened hands. Roll in breadcrumbs before frying.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the meat balls over medium heat for about 5 to 8 minutes per side until crispy. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, bring the tomato and coconut milk to the boil. Season to taste with curry powder, salt and pepper. Add the meatballs and simmer gently for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then serve with rice or pasta to taste.
- Prepare rice according to package instructions. Mix well so that the coconut milk does not burn. Add more water as needed.
- Alternatively, you can also use tofu as a meat substitute. To do this, squeeze the liquid out of the tofu and crumble it into small pieces. If you go with tofu or a coarse minced meat alternative, then I recommend pureeing the mixture with an immersion blender. This makes it easier for the mass to bind.
- Instead of corn starch, you can use the same amount of chickpea or soy flour.