Vegan mushroom casserole. A simple recipe for a delicious casserole with pasta, mushrooms and a wonderfully creamy and “cheesy” sauce. This creamy one-pot pasta dish is made from caramelized onions and mushrooms, vegetable stock and coconut milk, as well as spices and aromatic herbs. A homemade “cheese sauce” gives the dish a delicious taste and makes it particularly creamy! The casserole is quick to make, can be prepared for several days and is so delicious!
One-pot casserole or pasta bake
“Everything tastes better with cheese.” – my friend always says so beautifully. So I came up with the idea of baking our pasta dish with cheese and serving it as a casserole, because the recipe was originally intended as a mushroom cream pasta. It is quick and easy to prepare as a one pot dish. For one pot dishes you only need one pot, which is always a good idea ;-).
Pasta and pasta sauce are cooked together in just one pot. This means that one pot dishes are not only simple and save a lot of dishes, but also taste much more aromatic because the noodles are cooked in the sauce.
The recipe can therefore also be served as a simple “pasta with sauce” dish.
The casserole variant came about by chance, as I wanted to use up vegan cheese. And since you can bake pretty much everything with cheese, the pasta with the sauce and mushrooms came in an oven pan, sprinkled cheese on top and into the oven. So delicious!
Vegan mushroom cream casserole – how to do it!
The recipe is simple and only requires a large saucepan, a wooden spoon and a baking dish.
It starts with the onions, which are caramelized in a large saucepan. Then douse with vegetable stock and simmer briefly. Add garlic, mushrooms and spices one after the other and let simmer again. Add the remaining vegetable stock and pasta of your choice and cook the pasta until al dente.
As soon as the noodles are done, add the coconut milk and the homemade cheese sauce. The coconut milk makes the sauce particularly creamy. Instead of coconut milk, vegan cooking cream (e.g. Soja Cuisine) can also be used.
Then place in a baking dish, spread vegan cheese over the pasta and bake in the oven until the cheese has melted. As an alternative to the cheese spread, you can also use part of the cheese sauce for gratinating. In this case, prepare double the amount and use half for gratinating.
The cheese sauce is quick and easy to make, flavorful and is suitable both as a pasta sauce and for gratinating. For this you need cashew butter or soaked cashew nuts, yeast flakes, spices and some water.
Have fun trying it out and enjoy your meal!
Are you looking for more delicious pasta recipes? Try one of these…
- Vegan Spaghetti Carbonara with Coconut-Bacon
- Fettuccine Alfredo with Brussels Sprouts and Coconut Bacon
- Vegan Lasagna | classic
If you make this vegan mushroom cream casserole, be sure to leave a comment and / or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and how my recipes tasted to you! If you do make this recipe, share your creation on Instagram as a photo and use the hashtag #byanjushka. Always so happy to look through your photos of recipes!
Vegan Mushroom Casserole | One-Pot Pasta Bake
- 2 tbsp vegetable margarine
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 250 ml vegetable broth
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 200 g mushrooms cut into small pieces
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 liter of vegetable broth
- 400 g pasta
- 1 can coconut milk 400 ml
- 200 g grated vegan cheese*
Vegan cheese sauce
- 75 g cashew butter or soaked cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp oats
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- water as required
- Heat the margarine and maple syrup in a large saucepan. Add onions and caramelize for about 5 minutes. Douse with 250 ml of vegetable stock and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms, herbs and a little salt and pepper, stir and simmer for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add 1 liter of stock and bring to the boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the instructions on the packet.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, top and bottom heat.
- As soon as the noodles are cooked, add the coconut milk, cheese sauce and soy sauce and stir well. Put everything in a baking dish and sprinkle the cheese over the pasta. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Then take it out and let it cool down a little before serving.
- For the cheese sauce, puree all the ingredients with a mixer or hand blender to a fine sauce. If it is too thick, add enough water until it is creamy.
- Instead of vegan cheese you can also use the homemade vegan cheese sauce for gratinating. In this case, prepare double the amount of cheese sauce and use half for gratinating.