Vegan potato fritters. A simple and quick recipe for potato fritters without egg! The crispy potato fritters only need 3 ingredients and spices and are super delicious even without an egg! The recipe is suitable for both sweet potato fritters with applesauce and a savory version with dip. The vegan potato fritters are easy to make, crispy and perfect as a side dish or stand-alone dish with a dip!
(Simple) vegan version of a classic!
Whatever name you have for potato fritters, they all have one thing in common: they taste good! The baked potato fritters bring back many childhood memories. They were often at home or at the fair. I preferred to eat them sweet with applesauce.
“Classic” potato fritters are usually prepared from grated potatoes and onions, flour, spices and eggs and fried in a pan in lard or oil as biscuits. But the whole thing also works without any problems, with no great effort or vegan substitute products. The result is delicious and easy to make!
Vegan potato fritters – how it works
The potato fritters are made from three ingredients: Potatoes, onion and chickpea flour. The chickpea flour is used to bind the mass so that the potato fritters don’t fall apart. In addition, there are spices and vegetable margarine or oil for frying.
Potatoes and onions are first peeled separately and finely or coarsely grated. With the help of a clean tea towel, squeeze the liquid out of the potatoes and collect the liquid. We need about 5 to 6 tablespoons of the liquid to stir it together with the chickpea flour.
In the next step, the grated potatoes and onions, smoothly stirred chickpea flour and spices such as salt, pepper, nutmeg and, if you like, parsley are mixed together and then baked into patties in portions in a pan in vegetable margarine or oil.
You can form small patties out of the mass and then put them in the pan. Since the dough is quite runny, you can also spoon the dough into the pan and form patties out of it.
Sweet or savory?
The recipe is suitable for both sweet and savory potato fritters. If you like it sweet like me, you can serve it with sugar, cinnamon or applesauce, for example. They can also be served wonderfully hearty with a vegan herb quark dip or salad.
If you are looking for a simple vegan recipe for the classic potato fritter, you won’t go wrong with this recipe. Have fun trying it out and enjoy your meal :-).
Here you can find more easy and vegan recipe ideas:
- Vegan “Honey-Mustard” Schnitzel Salad
- Vegan Bolognese Casserole
- Vegan Pierogi with Blueberries
- Vegan Yeast Dumplings
- Vegan Spaghetti Carbonara with Coconut Bacon
And finally, if you try these vegan fritters, be sure to leave me a comment and / or rate the recipe! I am always happy to read from you and learn how you like my recipes and I do my best to respond to you! As soon as your masterpiece is ready, do as I do: share your photo on Instagram and don’t forget to link to it and use the hashtag #byanjushka! It’s a lot of fun to see your creations <3.
Vegan Potato Fritters
- 500 g potatoes about 5 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 50 g chickpea flour
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper and nutmeg to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley optional
- 4 tbsp vegetable margarine or oil for frying
- Peel the potatoes and onions and grate finely or coarsely separately from each other. Place the grated potatoes in a clean tea towel and squeeze out. Catch the liquid in the process.
- Mix about 5 tablespoons of the potato water with the chickpea flour until smooth.
- Mix the potatoes, onions, mixed flour and spices together well.
- Heat the margarine in a pan and fry the pancakes in portions* on both sides over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve the finished potato pancakes with applesauce or a hearty dip, if you like.
- Before frying the mixture, form small patties and place them in the pan. Since the dough is quite runny, I recommend adding the dough to the pan with a spoon and forming patties out of it.