This vegan pumpkin lasagna with spinach and ricotta made from cashew nuts is the perfect oven dish for autumn and winter. Layers of seasonal pumpkin that is mashed into a creamy sauce, homemade ricotta cheese made from cashews, spinach and lasagna noodles. The pasta casserole is topped with vegan cheese, which melts in the oven and makes the lasagne a real feel-good dish. The pumpkin lasagna is easy, creamy, aromatic, cheesy and so so delicious!
For me, autumn and winter are the time of oven dishes. While the oven is mostly off in summer, I like it all the more to take time out for cozy and warming, feel-good oven dishes in autumn and winter. I always make it nice for myself: good music, lights and candles and tea.
Today I have a real classic: lasagna. For me there is no “cozier” soul food dish. And since autumn and winter time also mean pumpkin time, I have prepared the autumn edition from the classic: Pumpkin Lasagne. With spinach and cashew ricotta.
The lasagna is based on two pasta bakes that you can already find on my blog: vegan lasagna with red lentils and vegan spinach ricotta cannelloni (currently only in german). The autumn variant is – how could it be otherwise – made with pumpkin. I thought back and forth for a long time whether I should prepare the pumpkin with a red lentil sauce or spinach and ricotta. Pumpkin and spinach is a delicious combination, so I chose the spinach ricotta variant. The pumpkin season continues for some time. So there is still enough time to test the other variant ;-).
Vegan pumpkin lasagna – the details
The recipe is simple. First, prepare the creamy pumpkin sauce. To do this, the Hokkaido pumpkin is cooked and then pureed with spices in a blender. I added a little plant milk to make the sauce even creamier!
In the meantime prepare the cashew ricotta. This is prepared in a blender and consists only of cashew nuts, garlic, lemon juice, yeast flakes, salt and vegetable milk. Depending on the power of the mixer, I recommend soaking the cashews in hot water before mixing. Then puree all ingredients in a blender. Instead of cashew ricotta, you can also use about 300g vegan feta cheese.
The cashew ricotta is mixed with spinach. I used frozen spinach leaves here because I always have them in the freezer. The spinach is defrosted, sautéed with onion and garlic as well as salt, pepper and herbs and then mixed with the ricotta.
As soon as everything is prepared, the oven is preheated and the individual layers are layered together with lasagne noodles in a baking dish.
What would a lasagna be without cheese?
I used about 150 g vegan cheese for the pumpkin lasagna. If you prefer to do without it, you can easily prepare a vegan cheese sauce yourself. You can find inspirationin this recipe.
If you are looking for a delicious and warming inspiration for lunch or dinner, you can’t go wrong with this pumpkin lasagna. Have fun trying it out and enjoy your meal!
Looking for more vegan lunch or dinner recipes? Try one of these…
- Vegan Lasagna
- Oven Baked Crepes with Spinach Feta Filling
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Lentil Pumpkin Curry with Naan bread
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Pumpkin Soup with crispy chickpeas
- Pumpkin Curry
- Cauliflower Soup with Coconut Bacon
If you make this pumpkin lasagna, be sure to leave a comment and / or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and how my recipes tasted to you! If you do make this recipe, share your creation on Instagram as a photo and use the hashtag #byanjushka. Always so happy to look through your photos of recipes!
Vegan Pumpkin Lasagne with Spinach Ricotta
- 1 kg hokkaido pumpkin
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice mix*
- 120 ml vegan milk
- 200 g cashews
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 125 ml vegan milk
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 500 g frozen spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp herbs of Provence
- cashew ricotta or 300g vegan feta cheese
- 10 lasagna noodles about 210 g
- 150 g vegan cheese*
- fresh basil
- Cover the cashew nuts with hot water and soak for about 15 minutes. Then sieve. Thaw frozen spinach leaves.
- Core the pumpkin, cut into cubes and place in a saucepan. Pour water over and bring to the boil. Then simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the pumpkin is cooked through. Pour off the water and puree the pumpkin with the remaining ingredients in a blender until creamy. Put aside.
- Put all ingredients in a blender and puree until creamy. Put aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onion is translucent. Squeeze the liquid out of the spinach and add it to the pan. Season to taste with dried herbs, sea salt and pepper and mix well. Fry for another 5 minutes. Add cashew ricotta and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees top and bottom heat. Lightly grease a baking dish. Spread a thin layer of pumpkin sauce on the bottom. Then a layer of lasagna noodles. Again some pumpkin sauce, then half of the spinach and ricotta cream and a layer of lasagna noodles. Repeat again, using up the rest of the cream. Finally, distribute the remaining pumpkin sauce on the lasagna plates and spread the cheese over the lasagna.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until the cheese browns slightly. Let cool down briefly before serving. Serve with fresh basil leaves.
- Instead of the spice mixture, you can also use the following spices: 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/3 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp ginger.
- You can find the recipe for a homemade cheese sauce in the text.