Vegan Rhubarb-Raspberry-Crumble Cake. A simple recipe for a moist cake with seasonal rhubarb, raspberries, crispy crumble and almonds. The cake is made from a simple batter with ground almonds. Applesauce is not only used as an egg substitute, but also makes the cake particularly moist. There is also a sweet-sour and fruity layer of rhubarb and raspberries. The cake is rounded off with crispy crumble and almond flakes. The vegan rhubarb and raspberry crumble cake is easy to make, only requires a few basic ingredients and is perfect for any occasion!
It’s rhubarb season!
YAY! And I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t make a cake recipe out of it, hehe. I have to admit that for a long time I couldn’t do much with rhubarb and paid little attention to vegetables (yes, rhubarb is actually a vegetable!). I got the taste for it by chance when my friend told me he liked to eat rhubarb. I gave it all a new chance.
And now we’re here & I’m sharing (my first!) rhubarb recipe with you guys on my blog. That says it all 🙂
Rhubarb and raspberry cake with crumble – how it works!
Like most of the other recipes on my blog, this one is easy to make. You don’t need any fancy ingredients, special baking skills or special kitchen accessories.
The cake consists of three components:
Rhubarb and raspberry layer: I decided to combine the rhubarb with raspberries. The sweet, slightly tart raspberries go perfectly with the sour rhubarb. Mix both with a little lemon juice and brown sugar. I recommend prepping the mixture first and letting it steep while you prepare the batter and crumble.
Instead of raspberries, you can, for example, use strawberries or do without them altogether and only use rhubarb.
Then the fruit layer is spread over the batter in the baking pan.
Batter: For the simple batter, all ingredients are stirred into a dough and poured into the prepared form. Be careful not to stir the dough too vigorously so that it turns out fluffy. I made the sponge mixture partly from ground almonds, which go very well with it in terms of taste. The applesauce is not only used as an egg substitute, but also makes the cake particularly moist. Instead of (unsweetened) apple sauce, you can also use mashed banana.
The topping: Crumble should not be missing on the cake! For this, knead all the ingredients and spread over the cake as a crumble. In addition, I spread a few flaked almonds over it. This is optional.
Then put the cake in the oven and bake. After the baking time, switch off the oven and let the cake stand in the oven for another 20 to 30 minutes with the oven door slightly open. This way, the cake won’t flop.
Searching for more vegan baking recipes? Take a look here:
- Vegan Cherry Crumble Cake
- Vegan Coconut Carrot Cake
- Chocolate-Nut Babka
- Chocolate Nut Swirl Banana Bread
- Vegan Poppy Seed Crumble Cheesecake
If you make this Vegan Rhubarb-Raspberry-Crumble Cake, be sure to leave a comment and / or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and how my recipes tasted to you! If you do make this recipe, share your creation on Instagram as a photo and use the hashtag #byanjushka. Always so happy to look through your photos of recipes!
Vegan Rhubarb-Raspberry-Crumble Cake
- 200 g rhubarb
- 150 g raspberries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 20 g brown sugar
- 125 g vegetable margarine melted or 100 ml rapeseed oil
- 150 g applesauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 100 ml soy or oat drink
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g flour
- 50 g ground almonds
- 120 g sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp salt
- ½ tsp grated orange peel optional
- 50 g flour
- 25 g brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp grated orange peel optional
- 40 g plant-based margarine chilled
- flaked almonds optional
- Wash and chop the rhubarb. Mix with raspberries, lemon juice and sugar and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C, top and bottom heat. Lightly grease the baking tin and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- For the batter, mix together margarine, applesauce, apple cider vinegar, soy drink and vanilla extract. Mix the flour, ground almonds, sugar, baking powder, salt and orange peel and stir into the liquid mixture. Mix briefly to form a smooth dough.
- Spread the batter in the baking pan and cover with the rhubarb and raspberry mixture.
- Quickly knead all the ingredients for the crumble and spread over the cake. Optionally sprinkle a few flaked almonds on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes. Then cover with baking paper so that it doesn't burn and bake for another 20-25 minutes until the cake is baked through and a wooden skewer or knife comes out without any liquid dough residue when piercing. Let stand in the oven for another 20 minutes with the oven door slightly open before removing