Vegan spaghetti carbonara with coconut bacon. A simple and quick recipe for a delicious and creamy pasta sauce. The vegan carbonara is made on the basis of cashew nuts and only needs 4 ingredients. Yeast flakes provide the “cheesy flavor”. The pasta dish is served with crispy bacon made from coconut chips – with the typical “smoky” taste! This simple recipe for the vegan version of the classic requires only a few ingredients and is ready in 30 minutes.
Creamy and cheesy pasta sauce
I don’t say no to spaghetti carbonara. Especially not with a vegan version.
When preparing the original recipe, cheese, egg and bacon form the basis. However, the recipe can also be prepared very tastily as a vegan dish and comes very close to the original! Instead of cheese, eggs and bacon, cashews, yeast flakes and coconut chips are used.
It is difficult to imagine that a delicious spaghetti carbonara dish can be made from these ingredients, but believe me: it tastes incredibly good!
Vegan spaghetti carbonara – the details
The recipe is easy and quick to make.
The carbonara sauce is prepared first. For this I used my homemade vegetable cream as a base and just added a little more yeast flakes so that it tastes “cheesier”.
For this you need cashew nuts, water and/or plant milk, yeast flakes and salt, pepper and nutmeg or vegetable stock powder . First soak the cashew nuts in hot water. Then put the remaining ingredients in a mixer and puree until the mixture gets really creamy. Add more liquid if needed.
Cook the spaghetti al dente and drain. Catch some of the pasta water. Mix the spaghetti with the carbonara sauce and add pasta water until the desired consistency is achieved.
Crispy “bacon” made from coconut chips
Although this is a vegan recipe, you don’t have to do without the crispy bacon. The smoky and crispy “bacon” made from coconut chips goes perfectly with the creamy pasta dish. For the fast and vegan version, the coconut chips are marinated in oil, soy sauce, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika powder and smoked salt and then baked in the oven until crispy.
If you are looking for a tasty and quick recipe for lunch or dinner, you cannot go wrong with this pasta dish. Have fun trying it out and enjoy your meal!
Looking for more vegan pasta recipes? Try one of these…
- Vegan Lasagna
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Pumpkin Lasagna with Spinach and Cashew Ricotta
- Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo with Brussels Sprouts
- Vegan Creamed Spinach Pasta
If you make this pasta recipe, be sure to leave a comment and / or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and how my recipes tasted to you! If you do make this recipe, share your creation on Instagram as a photo and use the hashtag #byanjushka. Always so happy to look through your photos of recipes!
Vegan Spaghetti Carbonara with Coconut-Bacon
- 200 g cashew nuts
- 100 ml water
- 100 ml plant-based milk
- 4 tbsp yeast flakes or more
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 160 g spaghetti or other noodles
- vegetables as a side dish, optional
- 75 g coconut chips no rasps
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- ½ tsp smoked salt
- Soak cashew nuts in hot water for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Puree the cashew nuts with the remaining ingredients in a blender until creamy. Add enough liquid until the consistency is creamy.
- Prepare the spaghetti according to the instructions on the packaging. As soon as the pasta is cooked, drain it and collect some pasta water.
- Mix the carbonara sauce with the pasta and stir in some of the pasta water as required. Place in a pasta bowl and pour coconut bacon over the pasta. You can also serve broccoli or other vegetables to taste.
- Mix all ingredients well in a bowl and let the coconut chips soak in the marinade. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180 °C with top and bottom heat and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- As soon as the oven is warm, spread the coconut chips on the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes until crispy. Turn once after about 8 minutes of baking time. Then remove and store in a storage jar.