Vegan speculoos swirl cake with chocolate glaze. Or: the most delicious Christmas cake! A simple and delicious cake with speculoos spice, sweet speculoos swirl and a dark chocolate glaze. This vegan cake is perfect for the Christmas season and all speculoos lovers. The recipe is easy and quick to make, requires only a few ingredients and super tasty.
During the Christmas season, I like to turn my standard recipes into a Christmas variant with cinnamon, grated orange peel or gingerbread and speculoos spice mixtures. Vanilla waffles, porridge or banana bread are transformed into Christmas gingerbread waffles, speculoos porridge or cinnamon-banana bread.
A few years ago I came up with the idea of spicing up a standard cake recipe of mine for Christmas. The result is the most delicious Christmas cake that we have had every year since: Speculoos Swirl Cake.
Original sound from my boyfriend: “This cake is dangerously delicious. It just tastes too good and is addicting.“
Vegan speculoos swirl cake – the details!
What sounds so “fancy” here is actually made very simple. A simple cake with speculoos spice and a sweet speculoos swirl made from ground speculoos cookies.
You’ll need two mixing bowls, a whisk, and a chopper (or something else to grind the cookies). First, the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and speculoos spice are mixed in a mixing bowl. In the second bowl whisk together melted vegetable butter (or oil), applesauce, apple cider vinegar, and vegan milk. Optionally, you can add vanilla extract or use a vanilla-soy milk. I really like the light vanilla aroma.
Carefully stir the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture and stir only briefly to form a dough. This is important! Be careful not to stir the dough too much, but only until everything is well mixed together.
It’s getting Christmassy: Speculoos Swirl
The speculoos swirl are ground speculoos biscuits with melted vegetable butter. The biscuits are finely or coarsely ground in a chopper. Coarse pieces are welcome. Alternatively, use a mixer or grind by hand. Melt some vegan margarine in a saucepan and mix it with the ground biscuits.
First, about half of the cake batter is distributed in a lightly greased dish. Pour the speculoos mixture over it and then distribute the remaining dough in the mold. For the swirl, pull a fork through the dough in a spiral. Here too: less is more.
And then it’s off to the oven. Important: cover the dough after about 30 minutes so that it does not get too dark.
The final touch: chocolate glaze
If you like, you can decorate the cooled cake with a chocolate glaze. The taste of dark chocolate goes particularly well here. The cake also tastes good without glaze or with just powdered sugar.
And now: have fun baking and enjoy it <3.
Looking for more easy baking recipes? Try one of these…
- Cinnamon buns with apple and nut filling
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
- Chocolate Pear Cake
- Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- Delicious Marble Cake
If you make this vegan speculoos cake, be sure to leave a comment and / or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and how my recipes tasted to you! If you do make this recipe, share your creation on Instagram as a photo and use the hashtag #byanjushka. Always so happy to look through your photos of recipes!
- 20 cm baking form
- 300 g flour
- 120 g sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp speculoos spice
- 125 g vegan butter or 100 ml oil
- 150 g applesauce
- 100 ml vegan milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- 100 g Speculoos Cookies
- 40 g vegan butter
- Chocolate Glaze or powdered sugar
- Speculoos Cookies crumbled
- First prepare the speculoos mixture for the swirl. Melt the vegetable butter in a saucepan and grind the cookies finely or coarsely. Mix with the melted butter and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees top and bottom heat. Lightly grease the baking pan. Melt vegetable butter for cake dough in the microwave or in a saucepan.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and speculoos spice in a bowl. Mix butter, applesauce, vegan milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract with a whisk and carefully stir into the dry ingredients. Mix briefly intp a dough.
- Pour about half of the batter into the baking pan. Spread the speculoos mixture on the dough. Pour the remaining dough into the mold. For the swirl, pull a fork through the dough in a spiral.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Then cover the cake with baking paper / aluminum foil so that nothing burns and bake for another 20-25 minutes*. Then take it out of the oven and let it stand for 10 minutes. Then fall out of the mold and let cool down completely.
- Finally, decorate the cake with chocolate glaze or powdered sugar and sprinkle with crumbled speculoos.
- If you replace the sugar, please note that the consistency of the dough may change. This also applies to the exchange of other ingredients.
- The baking time can vary depending on the oven.
- The best way to test whether the cake is ready is with a wooden skewer or a knife. Both should come out when stick in the cake without any liquid dough residue